Sunday 12 October 2008

BCN


A little apprehensive about returning back to the course tomorrow as I was away last week in Barcelona. Whilst I'm sure I didn't miss much, I hate playing catch up at the best of times, but in this case I think it was worth it...

Barcelona is simply the best city in the world for me (closely followed by Buenos Aires and New York if you're asking).

It has such a strong artistic feel to the city from the fantastic buildings of Antonio Gaudi to the works of Picasso, Dali and Joan Miro. I was lucky enough to live in this city for 3 years and it changed my life. I went from being a naive boy from a small town in Bournemouth to absorbing all that Barcelona had to offer. For the first time in my life I wanted to visit art galleries and look at things closer. Everything is so accessible in this city and even if you're not interested in art or design, you can't help but be amazed.

Gaudi's Sagrada Familia is his most famous creation but I prefer the smaller Casa Batllo and La Pedrera buildings. These are exactly as Gaudi intended them to be whereas the Sagrada Familia has been extended using ideas from other leading architects to continue Gaudi's plan. I love the mosaic affect used heavily throughout the Gaudi's buildings and the city itself, it really helps to form an identity of the city. You know you are in Barcelona when you see this!

I feel it's the design capitol of mainland Europe, so many designers have worked or do work here or have taken inspiration from time spent here. It's an iconic city bursting with creativity and fresh ideas.

Although it was only a quick visit, intended to visit my girlfriends family, we took advantage and did as much as possible in the short time space. This time I went back with our recent introduction to typography still ringing in my ears and tried to look at the type used in the city in different ways and also some examples of graphic design that took my eye.


1 comment:

Vicky Martin said...

Nice photos! I went to Barcelona last year, its wicked isnt it! Have you got any more of your pics on Flickr?