Monday 20 October 2008

Moday's "Drift" Critique

We were asked last Tuesday to come up with an image or a series of images to show a journey or a feeling when in a new place when you drift through it.

Most people had chosen London purely due to last weeks visit and that it's a little bit different to Bournemouth. I chose images I had taken whilst in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago.

The main image is taken from near Montjuic looking over the city. Although I know the city well having lived there, this was the first time I had looked out over the city in this way and I was confused as to the location of certain iconic symbols; such as The Sagrada Familia, Park Guell etc.

For the main background image I used a poster edges effect from Photoshop to give the image less definition and recognisable line, creating a more confusing city line, to represent how I felt when viewing this busy scene.

I used pictures of certain places purposely situated in the wrong location to give my feeling of being lost in a place I know so well. I used other images from the day and changed the opacity so that the image behind could be seen but also to reflect my poor memory...I knew what they were but wasn't sure when or where I'd seen them that day.

I placed a photo of a Gaudi mosaic effect in the foreground on a blank wall and used the Sun from Joan Miro to represent the heat of the day and also cover a small blemish I had on the lens of the camera! :-)

Neil said he reminded him of a picture from the travel section of "The Guardian", which I took as a massive complement. I've been reading the Observer for years and I can sort of see what he means...maybe the style sunk in subliminally over the years?

It made me think about trying to do something with a newspaper type article for the Poole project. I really struggling for ideas for that one!

No comments: