Sunday 31 January 2010

Live Brief - Master Aerials


This is an advert I did for Yellow Pages for a friends business.

It was the first time away from my University work, that I've worked to a strict deadline. The final design had to be completed and sent to Yellow pages by September and I was asked to start work on it at the beginning of August. This gave me plenty of time but I was still nervous until final approval had been given by my friend and also Yellow Pages.

The design was completed within a week. I then emailed a copy to the client, who asked for some small changes (make the telephone numbers bigger) and amended as requested. I printed an actual size copy of the add and showed it to the client, as it would look on completion.

I then made copies for him and he emailed it to Yellow Pages, who replied with a confirmation that everything was fine and it was ready to print.

The design part wasn't hard as the client knew exactly what they wanted and I understood the brief as it was so clear, but they insisted on sitting next to me, directing every move! This is very frustrating. Eventually he let me do my own thing and when he left the room to put the kettle on (my request) I drew up a basic layout which he liked. I completed the advert later in the week, without the client being present.

I learned how hard it can be to take direction from someone who doesn't necessarily have much knowledge of design and layout. However, as he is the client I had to be respectful and do as I was asked, even though the final design is different from what he had in mind.

I have kept all email correspondence as a record.

No comments: