Sunday 21 February 2010

New Look Observer

The Observer has re-launched itself in its latest model this weekend. It is now a slimmed down 4 section Sunday newspaper, after deciding last year it needed to take action to reduce costs after the economic slowdown and reduction in readership.

Part of the reduction in readership is because most people are reading all the content online, at the moment free (although The New York Times is son to start a paying subscription service for online content). Given that the alternative was to close the newspaper, I'm pleased its chosen a slim lined version of itself, although I gave buying the paper around 2 years ago as I just think it lost its mojo! Not a very politically correct thing to say as The Guardian and Observer are supposed to read by those in the media and savvy designers, but I feel it became bland and weak! I do still take a look online during the week and I'm pleased to see it hasn't been totally re designed.

So its smaller and weaker, but a three legged dog is still a dog!

No comments: