Saturday 20 February 2010

The impact of Emma

Emma from Aquent paid a visit to our course this week and with it woke a lot of people up with her attitude. She was fun, interesting and bullish from the start and I think a few students weren't sure how to take her.

Her advice on getting into industry was excellent. She simply laid down the facts of how to get noticed, how to put together a strong c.v and how to talk about your work.

She also showed examples of what not to do with your c.v and explained that many creatives cross the line of quirkiness to crap far too easily.

Keep things simple. If you have a piece of work in your portfolio that you are not proud of, take it out. Never start by saying something negative about your work and always start and finish on a strong piece design work.

I spoke with her about working abroad and she also gave me some contact names for publishing houses and and few leads for other things too.

I was hoping that she would offer me a small work placement or similar as apparently she offered a few last year, but it wasn't to be.

Having professionals form industry come and talk is something I would like to see more of. We have had two in the last week, and I know the tutors are trying for more. I would like to see a designer from each discipline visit if possible, so students can get a real inside look at where they might go to work.

No comments: